Are you getting the performance you deserve from your heating system? If not, you will need a replacement and you will want to do some research before deciding on a new system. There are many factors you should take into account when deciding on electric furnace vs. gas furnace. There’s cost, effectiveness, durability and more. Also, there’s safety, how long the unit will last and the effect that installation will have on your home and family.
Both Gas and Electric are Forced Air Systems
Calling them both forced air systems means both systems use ductwork. So, If you have ductwork in your home, that means that either system can use the existing ductwork. They both heat air directly and send the heated air throughout the house through the ductwork. Your central air conditioning system also shares this ductwork.
- Less Expensive to Operate – Almost everywhere in the country, natural gas is significantly cheaper than electricity. Plus, natural gas may also be used for fueling your range/oven, water heater and even your clothes dryer.
- Faster Heating – Gas heat tends to heat up the home faster than electric heat because the gas furnace produces maximum heat as soon as the burners start running.
- Purchase is More Expensive Upfront – Gas furnaces cost more to purchase than electric ones and the installation is more complicated due to venting requirements.
- Shorter Lifespan – You can expect a gas furnace to last 10 to 20 years, which is about half as long as an electric unit.
- More Maintenance – Gas Furnaces run on a combustible fuel, and need to be maintained yearly to ensure safe, efficient operation. Skipping regular maintenance could put your family at risk of exposure to carbon monoxide gas.
- Lower Upfront Investment – The ability to install a furnace for less definitely makes electric heat appealing to some homeowners.
- Easy Installation – Electric furnaces don’t need to vent to the exterior, so they can be installed just about anywhere.
- Easy Maintenance – While it’s still important to have an electric furnace checked annually, there’s less fear that a malfunction could be detrimental to your family’s health.
- Higher Lifetime Cost – The biggest flaw with electric furnaces is that, while some boast near 100-percent efficiency, the higher cost of electricity makes electric heat more expensive than gas heat.
- Slower Heating – An electric furnace must spend time powering up the heating element before it can start to warm your home. This means you have to wait longer for the effects of turning up the thermostat.
The Bottom Line
Gas heat is the way to go if you live in a colder climate and rely on your furnace for indoor comfort several months out of the year. Proper maintenance ensures your family’s safety and helps the heater last years longer. As long as you have natural gas access on your property, then there really is not a lot to recommend the electric furnace over gas.
Electric heat is the best option if you live in a warmer climate or an area where gas heat isn’t an option. Low maintenance needs and a long lifespan mean you don’t have to give much thought to your heater. That being said some homeowners do not want to pipe a combustible fuel into their homes. For the best energy efficiency when electricity is the only option, consider an electric heat pump instead, which can double as an air conditioner to cool your home in the summer.
AnyWeather Heating & Air can help you heat and cool your home in a way that gets you the most bang for your energy dollar!
Contact Us (859-781-4822) to learn more or to request an appointment!
When you trust AnyWeather Heating & Air with your home’s heating, cooling, and air quality needs, you can breathe easy. As a locally owned and operated company, we treat every customer like our neighbor and every home as our own. We proudly offer our HVAC repair, maintenance, and installation, as well as, air quality services to families across Northern Kentucky and Greater Cincinnati. We offer high-quality HVAC equipment, reliable care plans, professional repairs, and exceptional customer service, backed by our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee and our Lifetime Workmanship Guarantee. Our team is dedicated to serving others, and we’re on a mission to build stronger communities, one service call at a time.
>> Learn More