We all know that air filters keep our heating and air conditioning units in our homes working efficiently. The purpose of an air filter is to catch and trap particles like dust, pollen, and pet dander that circulate throughout the home. So choosing the best air filter is important but can also be confusing because of the different varieties that are on the market today. If we want to keep the air quality in our homes to be clean and healthy as possible, we have to be diligent on keeping a clean air filter. Keep in mind, not all air filters offer the same performance. What type of air filter are you using today? Let’s take a moment and compare the washable air filter and the disposable air filter.
Pros of Washable Furnace Filters
- Environmentally Friendly – Disposable filters are made of fiberglass, and cardboard and metal. Recycling a disposable furnace filter is all but impossible. Not only is a washable air filter easy to clean, but they are environmentally friendly! A washable air filter will give you years worth of use. Disposable air filters degrade quickly in environments with moisture and variable temperatures. This can lead to recirculated contamination, blocked air flow, overheating and even equipment breakdown. A washable filter diverts the waste caused by replacing your filter four to 12 times a year.
- The Savings – Permanent filters will save you money and time. You will not have to store boxes of filters and you will not have to make a run to your supplier during the year to buy more filters. You may spend more up front, but this kind of filter will save you money, over time. A washable filter last five years or longer, so it quickly pays for itself. HVAC professionals recommend replacing the furnace filter every one to three months. It is easy to calculate how much you save over the years.
- Shopping and Storage Time – You may have heard different opinions about how often you should change your AC or Furnace filters. Some experts will say that a 1″ disposable filter should be replaced every month, while others say every 3 months. We recommend that you change your filters every 4-6 weeks or as needed, depending on your situation. If you have a lot of dust, dirt and debris or pets or allergies we highly recommend that you should change your filters every month. So, you probably dislike having to shop for HVAC filters every few month. If you buy in bulk where will you store all the filters? If you have a hard to find size, shopping for the correct size add to the time stress.
Cons of Washable HVAC Filters
- Mold & Mildew – Some washable filters are treated with anti-bacterial and anti-microbial compounds to prevent germs and mold growth. In contrast, untreated washable filters can actually contribute to mold growth because mold thrives in a moist environment. If you reinsert a washable filter before it is dry, the dampness can attract mold and mildew. Mold can wreak havoc on your air quality, which is one reason you use a filter at all. Good Air Quality.
- Lower Efficiency – Washable air filters usually have a MERV (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value) rating of 1 to 4. They can effectively catch larger particles like dust and soot. But if you have a pet, the pet dander is too small to be caught in this type of filter. Even bacteria, viruses and smoke are not effectively filtered out. Disposable air filters are more effective in capturing small particles (dust, allergens, pet dander, smoke, bacteria, and viruses) and MERV ratings go as high as 16. If you have asthma, allergies, or chronic lung condition the higher filtration available outweigh the benefits of washable versions.
- Maintenance – Washable air filters require washing them monthly. Once you have washed off all of the dust, you must make sure that it thoroughly dries before placing back in your unit. This may require you to buy two washable filters a second filter would allow you to rotate the two so your house doesn’t become mildewed. Disposable air filters simply require you removing the old one, tossing it in the garbage and replacing with a new one.
BEST CHOICE: AnyWeather Heating & Air’s Safety & Efficiency Plan
Sit back and leave it all to us. Very inexpensive and hassle-free. AnyWeather Safety & Efficiency Plans give you peace of mind knowing that your home will be professionally cared for and maintained by our highly trained comfort specialists. Safety & Efficiency Plans are the perfect solution for homeowners who want to avoid the high cost of unexpected repairs. Replacing/Cleaning air filters is just one of many things we will be doing for you to get the most out of your furnace long term efficiency-wise and dollar-wise!
>> Learn More
AnyWeather Heating & Air can help you heat and cool your home in a way that gets you the most bang for your energy dollar!
Contact Us (859-781-4822) to learn more or to request an appointment!
When you trust AnyWeather Heating & Air with your home’s heating, cooling, and air quality needs, you can breathe easy. As a locally owned and operated company, we treat every customer like our neighbor and every home as our own. We proudly offer our HVAC repair, maintenance, and installation, as well as, air quality services to families across Northern Kentucky and Greater Cincinnati. We offer high-quality HVAC equipment, reliable care plans, professional repairs, and exceptional customer service, backed by our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee and our Lifetime Workmanship Guarantee. Our team is dedicated to serving others, and we’re on a mission to build stronger communities, one service call at a time.
>> Learn More